can be your best friend!
If you didn’t already know, the Rubik’s cube can be taken apart and put together again. You might be wondering why anyone would want to do that. There are a number of situations when one has to do just that. Here are some examples:
- The faces do not turn easily and make a screeching noise
- It is increasingly difficult to solve the cubes quickly because they often get stuck
- The cube has fallen apart on its own because of tension while playing
- The cube is dirty, and you wish to sanitize it carefully
- You wish to lubricate the cube in order to enhance the turning speed.
- You are curious to see what the process of taking a Rubik’s cube apart and putting it back together is like.
Disassemble your Rubik’s cube safely
Taking a cube apart and putting it back together is not an easy job. There is a risk of damaging the cube if done incorrectly. There is also the chance of the puzzle becoming unsolvable if the cubes are put together randomly. Some people have dainty fingers, and they may hurt themselves while disassembling the cube, if they do it in a hurry. There is a certain procedure to follow in order to maintain the integrity of the puzzle while keeping it safe physically.
Let’s take a look at how to take a Rubik’s cube apart:
Start with turning the top face 45 degrees, and use a lever to push the upper edge away from the main body. You can use a delicate object to push the edge away if you are scared of hurting yourself. Once the first few pieces break free, the rest will fall off easily too. These cubes consist of eight corner pieces, 12 edge pieces, and six inner core pieces. Remove the caps of the centerpieces to loosen/tighten the screws to adjust the tension. You will have disassembled the cube in no time.
Steps to assemble the Rubik’s cube
You can decide if you want to assemble the cube in its solved position or just scramble it. Just take note that assembling the cube in its solved state can take a lot of time as the correct pieces still need to be searched. If you know how to solve the cube, it is recommended to build the cube instead of scrambling it. Randomly putting it back right together reduces your cube’s solvability rate. It will only have an 8% chance of getting solved.
The Assembly Process
- Starting with putting random pieces together, and working your way through
- As you start putting the pieces together, try to solve the cube as well
- Eliminate parity errors by removing incorrect pieces
- It is a good idea to start with the core, and then work your way through the middle and top layers
- Avoid randomly adding all the pieces together, as this may make the Rubik’s cube unsolvable
Since most people learn better visually, we recommend watching a video. We have put together a simple video that will help you understand the task quickly.
Disassemble and put your cube back together carefully
There are many reasons why people might wish to disassemble a Rubik’s cube and put it back together. However, as you can see, it is important to do it carefully. It is possible to damage the cube while taking it apart or render the cube unsolvable while putting it back together. Therefore it is important to be careful during both stages.
Disassembling and reassembling the cube will allow you to clean it, improve the cube’s turning speed, and eliminate screeching sounds. Most importantly, you will have a sense of accomplishment once you put a cube back together. And in no time, your cube will be ready to be solved all over again.